noOperating Area Types:
In the first of implementation, DULT plans to implement PBS in the areas such as MG Road, Vidhanasoudha, Indiranagar, Koramangala, HSR Layout, Banaswadi, HRBR Layout, HBR Layout, etc. DULT plans to expand the system in other areas of Bengaluru in a phased manner.
The Permittee shall submit an indicative service area for launch of operations. In case of changes in the service area DULT shall be informed in writing and obtain amended permit from DULT.
Bicycles shall be parked only at designated parking hubs (provided by DULT or approved by DULT). Bicycles can only be parked on hard surfaces that can be accessed. Shared Bicycles shall stand upright when parked.
ISO 4210, National StandardSafety Requirements for City and Trekking Bicycles) and National (IS 10613 : 2014: Cycles Safety Requirements for Bicycles).
Minimum Operating Requirements:
3 per day:
1. Density shall not fall below at least three bicycles per square km during the operational hours of the system
2. The permittee shall attain a minimum bike to annual member ratio of 1: 10
3. Each bicycle within the system shall record minimum 3 trips/day
4. Fewer than 5 reports/ month of bicycles being parked in a manner that causes obstruction to pedestrians, vehicular traffic or causing public nuisance.
5. Any deficiency in performance by a Permittee during the year, may result in increased annual permit fee for the subsequent year.
|Per Vehicle||INR₹ 50 (USD$ 1)||Annually|
1. Permittee agrees to pay DULT a yearly Permit Fee payable at the rate of Rs. 50/- (Rupees Fifty) per bicycle per year of the operational fleet.
2. In lieu of levying penalty periodically based on Service Level Agreements, the operator performance shall be assessed during the year and the permit fee for the subsequent year shall be linked to performance in the previous year.
Payment Method Requirements:
Permittee will employ an electronic payment system that is compliant with the required standards in India. Each transaction shall include the bicycle identification number corresponding to the make and model of the bicycle registered with DULT.
Permittees are allowed to fix the user tariff as deemed reasonable. The user charges shall be disclosed to DULT and no surcharges of any kind shall be levied. DULT reserves the right to intervene in case profiteering, collusion or unfair trade practices are noticed in levy of user charges.
Connection to Other Government Goals:
The Draft Master Plan 2031 anticipates huge investment in mass transit systems like Metro, Suburban Rail, LRT, BRT, etc. For the mass transit systems to be successful in influencing people to shift from private vehicles to mass transit for commuting, easy and safe access (last mile connectivity) to the mass transit stations is very critical. Last mile connectivity could be achieved through multiple means such as pedestrian and cycling infrastructure, feeder buses, auto-rickshaw, etc.
Safe Infrastructure Requirements:
DULT is also planning to lay supportive cycling infrastructure (dedicated & shared cycle lanes) to complement PBS system and improve safety of cyclists in those areas.
Government Parking Requirement:
Directorate of Urban Land Transport plans to provide bicycle parking locations for more than 345 locations.
Marketing and targeted community outreach plan (including a strategy to partner with bicycle advocacy and community benefit organizations, a culturally relevant and multilingual (Kannada and English) communications plan, and an equitable bike share implementation plan, to promote the use of the PBS system citywide. The system should be accessible to all strata of society and the system shouldn’t discriminate users based on gender, age, caste, religion , language income levels, etc
1. Description of pricing structure, rates, and method(s) of communication to the customer.
2. Marketing and targeted community outreach plan (including a strategy to partner with bicycle advocacy and community benefit organizations, a culturally relevant and multilingual (Kannada and English) communications plan, and an equitable bike share implementation plan, to promote the use of the PBS system citywide.
3. Plan for educating users on proper bicycle usage, parking and other safety measures and etiquettes.
4. The name and contact information for the Bicycle Share Operator shall be displayed on all Bicycles.
5. The Permittee shall insist customers to park a bicycle properly within the designated area.
6. Customers using bicycles in systems issued a permit under this program should be provided with mechanisms to notify the Permittee if there are safety or maintenance or system related issues with the PBS.
7. Permittee shall have a customer service phone number for customers to report safety concerns, complaints, or ask questions
Data Specification Requirements:
GPS Required? Yes
Permittee will provide the DULT with disaggregate/aggregate customer demographic data gathered by the system application using anonymized key that does not identify individual customers periodically as decided by DULT.
The DULT should have access to near real time data. This shall be defined in consultation with the operator at the time of issuing permit.
The operator shall also submit monthly operational reports indicating key operational parameters, which shall be defined in consultation with DULT.
Permittee will keep a record of reported collisions. These records will be sent to DULT on a monthly basis permittee shall provide the following anonymized data for each trip record to inform and support safe and effective management of the bicycle share system, and for transportation planning efforts. (Table 1) company name, type of bicycle, trip record number, trip duration, trip distance, start time, start time, end date, end time, start location, end location, bicycle ID number
Permittee will provide the following bicycle availability data for oversight of parking compliance and bicycle distribution by minutes. (GPS coordinate, availability duration, availability start date, availability start time)
Permittee shall distribute an annual customer survey as determined by DULT, analyse this survey and submit a report to DULT along with the raw survey data.
Permittee shall keep a record of maintenance activities, including but not limited to bicycle identification number and maintenance performed. These records shall be sent to DULT on a monthly basis.
Permittee shall report the aggregated breakdown of customers by gender and age monthly. Gender will be reported by male, female, and other. Age will be reported into these age groups: under 5, 5-17, 18-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64, 65 and over.
Permittee agrees that DULT may use a third-party researcher to evaluate the bike share program. Data will be shared with the third-party researcher only for purposes of the evaluating or enforcing the requirements in this permit.