Excerpt from Chapter 9.01.020 of the Attached Ordinance:
The purpose of this Ordinance is to implement the Santa Monica General Plan and to protect and promote the public health, safety, peace, comfort, convenience, prosperity, and general welfare by regulating the location and use of buildings, structures, and land for residential, commercial, industrial, recreational, and other specified uses. More specifically, the Ordinance is adopted to achieve the following objectives:
- To provide a precise guide for the physical development of the City in a manner as to progressively achieve the arrangement of land uses integrated with circulation depicted in the Santa Monica General Plan, consistent with the goals and policies of the General Plan.
- To protect and enhance the quality of the natural and built environment.
- To protect the quality of residential life and activities.
- To ensure adequate park and public open space.
- To provide stable and desirable residential neighborhoods.
- To ensure easy access to coastal resources, well-maintained parks, and attractive streets.
- To promote viable commercial and industrial enterprises.
- To provide diverse employment opportunities.
- To protect and improve tourist and visitor serving facilities and services.
- To maintain and foster community identity citywide.
- To provide for citizen participation in the development decision-making process.
- To preserve and protect housing choices in the community.
- To protect and enhance the City’s sustainability.
- To promote the protection and preservation of the City’s historic resources.