Special Transportation and Communications Services, Florida, 2017
5 minutes Date Enacted: Jul 1, 2017 Dates given are approximate.
The state has a standing Commission for the Transportation Disadvantaged that seeks to address gaps in transit service.
Current policy has been amended with the following:
30) For the 2017-2018 fiscal year and notwithstanding any other provision of this section:
(a) Allocate, from funds provided in the General Appropriations Act, to community transportation coordinators who do not receive Urbanized Area Formula funds pursuant to 49 U.S.C. s. 5307 to provide transportation services for persons with disabilities, older adults, and low-income persons so they may access health care, employment, education, and other life-sustaining activities. Funds allocated for this purpose shall be distributed among community transportation coordinators based upon the Transportation Disadvantaged Trip and Equipment allocation methodology established by the commission.
(b) Award, from funds provided in the General Appropriations Act, competitive grants to community transportation coordinators to support transportation projects to:
1. Enhance access to health care, shopping, education, employment, public services, and recreation;
2. Assist in the development, improvement, and use of transportation systems in nonurbanized areas;
3. Promote the efficient coordination of services;
4. Support inner-city bus transportation; and
5. Encourage private transportation providers to participate.