Washington, DC initiated a two-month long, $31,000 pilot program to “improve the availability and usage for wheelchair available taxis [or, WAVs].” The program offers per-trip subsidies and additional cash awards to the top drivers at the end of the program.
Additional eligibility requirements include:
- Successful completion of disability sensitivity and WAV training by the driver
- Trips with a negative rating or passenger complaints will not count to the bonus
- Drivers must be logged into the DC TaxiApp when on duty
- A driver must complete a minimum 25 trips in a month during the pilot program
- Trips can be hailed or dispatched via DC TaxiApp, UberTaxi, or Transport DC
Updated July 2017