New L.A. microtransit project called Metro Micro is a metro-operated on-demand shared ride service for short trips within designated service zones in Los Angeles County. The service hopes to be used as a vital first/last mile tool for those who struggle to access the fixed-route transit. The zones were strategically selected with common mobility patterns in mind such as major employment centers, universities and schools, and major medical centers and hospitals. The pilot hopes to improve connectivity through its real-time scheduling and booking system that allows riders to plan entire trips, including Metro Micro and their bus or train ride. It is also focused on reducing the cost of rideshare options, reduce congestion and improve air quality.
Pilot Project Details:
- Zones: Watts/Willowbrook, LAX/Inglewood
- Hours of Operation:
- Watts/Willowbrook Zone: Monday-Sunday, 5am-11pm
- LAX/Inglewood Zone: Monday-Friday, 5am – 10am, 2pm -7pm
- How to schedule: Scheduling a ride can be done through the new Metro Micro app, by booking a ride online at book.metro-micro.net, or by calling 323-.GO.METRO.
- Cost: Introductory rate of $1 per ride (transfer not included) for the first six months of each zone. Fare adjustments will be reconsidered after the first six month period.
- When: The new service will cover a total of six zones. The service will launch in the Watts/Willowbrook and LAX/Inglewood zones on December 13, 2020 with pre-booking starting on December 7th. Additional zones such as Northwest San Fernando Valley, Highland Park/Eagle Rock/Glendale, Altadena/Pasadena/Sierra Madre, UCLA/Westwood/Century City will launch in Summer 2021.
- COVID-19 Policies: Include required face coverings, clear vehicle sneeze guard participations separating drivers from passengers, restricted vehicle capacity, trained drivers who are provided proper PPE equipment, and the vehicles will be cleaned once daily with EPA-approved disinfectants.